Monday, January 7, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well 2008 is here. I need to fill you in on Grigson-related activities over the festive period. There actually wasn't that much Grigson action to be honest. The Christmas Cake has gone down well with who tasted it (except for those that don't like Christmas Cake!). I did like the Marzipan as it was less sweet than the shop-bought kind. I liked the royal icing too, but I used (*sharp intake of breath*) Jif lemon! This was because I'd forgot to buy it and didn't have time to go to the shop. The icing's consistency was nice, but the slightly fake lemon flavour was noticeable. I still have a massive wedge of cake to eat, so if someone sends me their address I'll send a slice! My Mum like it too much, though, and it has now become my job to make the Christmas Cake every year.

#15 Christmas Cake, #18 Marzipan, #19 Royal Icing: 9/10. Certainly better than any shop-bought cake. I am knocking marks of for the icing (albeit my own fault)

I have been to Unicorn in Chorlton to buy my Seville oranges so I can make some lovely Oxford Marmalade. I have also ordered jam-making equipment from th'internet. It will be my first forray into the art of preserve-making.

However, dear-reader, do not expect too many Grigson's over the coming months. There are two reasons for this:
  1. I have put on more than a stone since October with all the rich food and lack of trips to the gym.
  2. I foolishly bought a new kitchen for my house. I paid for it using my debit card because I'd forgotten my credit card. What I didn't know is that these credit cards charge you 5% of the value to transfer it. What I also didn't know is that my card had been cancelled as I'd not used it since 2003! This leaves me with about £30 a week until April (my PhD pays me quarterly).

All Grigsons must be now a, cheap, and b, low-calorie. I don't know how successful I will be at this. I have managed one, and will tell you all about it after I fill you in on the couple I did over Christmas for mine and Greg's veggie Christmas dinner.

No comments: