Tuesday, March 17, 2009

#127 Banana Chutney

Thus far I have enjoyed making the preserves in English Food and was very much in the mood to make a new one – the Banana Chutney was selected as I had all the ingredients other than the masses of bananas in already, plus it seemed like a no-brainer; no faffing about with pectin and sugar thermometers here!


Begin by slicing up 12 bananas and simmering them in ½ a pint of cider (or white wine) vinegar until the bananas are cooked and mushy. Stir in 8 ounces of sugar and allow to cool. Next stir in 2 medium onions that have been finely sliced, 4 ounces of finely chopped sultanas, an ounce of curry powder (whatever strength you like), ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of Cayenne pepper, and salt – and salt well; chutneys should be salty, add up to 3 teaspoons. Cover the bowl or pan with Clingfilm and allow to stand for 12 hours. Taste and check for seasoning again before potting in sterilised jars and store somewhere cool.

#127 Banana Chutney – 5.5/10. Nice and sweet; Griggers says to serve with ham, salt pork and chicken, but I had it in a cheese sandwich and it was very nice, though it was quite dry – I prefer chutneys to have a bit of sauce to them. If I were to make itagain, I would add more vinegar and sugar and would also cook the curry powder out too in a little oil before adding the bananas and vinegar at the start (but what do I know).

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Hi, I tried this recipe the other day too - just had some for lunch - and didn't find it dry at all, and would have given it more like 8/10. Maybe there's a lot of scope for difference depending on how it goes? Thrilled to have found your blog and look forward to looking through it for inspiration.

Cheers,

Andrew

Neil Buttery said...

Hi Andrew. Thanks for posting a comment and even bigger thanks for trying a recipe. I haven't visited the chutney and preserves section of the book for a while, you might have inspired me to have a crack at one soon....

Anonymous said...

I was a bit surprised to find this recipe when I clicked on curry on the side bar.