Friday, October 17, 2008

#82 Toad-in-the-Hole

Very sorry for the recent few weeks being blog-lite. However folks, this doesn’t mean I’ve not been cooking, just been rather busy with work, plus I have become rather a social butterfly of late. Anyways, I have decided to go through the book and do some of the proper classics. So first up is (#82) Toad-in-the-Hole. I do love it. You have to make sure you get decent sausages. I was mant to get mine from the butchers in Levenshulme or Chorlton, but ran out of time as I worked late, and had to go to blinking Asda. However, did find some organic pork sausages in natural casing, which were very good. Didn’t think I’d be recommending Asda on here, bearing in mind their animal-rights record. I cooked it for John, who – shock horror – had never had it before! That’s the Irish for you.

Makes four servings:

First of all make some Yorkshire pudding batter. I usually do this by eye, but followed Grigger’s measurements which do turn out well. Mix 8 ounces of plain flour with a pinch of salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and break 3 eggs into it. Make up a pint of half-milk, half-water and add about a third of it to the flour and eggs. Whisk this into a thick paste – adding only some of the liquid at the beginning should prevent lumps. Keep adding the liquid until the batter is the consistency of double cream. Leave to rest.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220ºC and then brown a pound of sausages in an ounce of lard in a frying pan; you’re not cooking them through, just getting two decent brown stripes along their lengths. Strain the fat into a large roasting pan and pour a thin layer of batter and bake in the oven until set – about 5 minutes. Place the sausages on top of the set batter and pour over the rest. Bake for 35 minutes. The batter should rise up and be a nice golden brown. Serve with some veg and onion gravy.

#82 Toad-in-the-Hole: 9/10. I love this kind of food. Can’t go wrong with this kind of food. If for some reason you have never had it before, simply go and make it right now. You have a recipe. It’s very easy. The only thing I ask is that you buy good sausages and make onion gravy to go with it, otherwise it’s just not the same.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm very much enjoying this and have parsnips, walnuts, walnut oil and greens (no cress here, alas) ready per your salad instructions. don't stop! you have fans! as does the lovely grigson.

Neil Buttery said...

Ta Chuck! I never know if anyone's reading! I'm totally behind on the typing - gonna get them on this week

Neil

Neil Buttery said...

Also: let me know how you get on with the salad!

Laters!

Jim Atkinson said...

Neilster,

I'm going to give this a go tonight with some Bingley Bangers, I'll let you know how i get on!!!

Jimbo

Neil Buttery said...

Bingley Bangers. Brilliant.

Yes, let me know how you do, Jim-Bob x

Jim Atkinson said...

completely forgot about this, soz.

My toad in the hole was a semi success, i had far too much batter and ended up with a soggy bottom, ooh er missus!!!

Next time, apart from less batter I think I'll almost completely cook the bangers before adding, I like to have a nice skin on mine.

I've got a picture of it for you but I've no idea how to post it on here?!

I've put the picture on my site for the time being:

Toad In't Hole Picture

J

Neil Buttery said...

lookin' good Jimbo. I think one needs to be careful with the size of roasting tin. Less is more, methinks!